spinach squares

This is my MIL's recipe. I am not sure where she got it. She always has these out for something to nibble on while Giant Holiday Feasts are cooking. If I'm not careful, I nibble these until I'm full and then have a terrible dilemma when I sit down to the Feast. Ooh, these are good. I am making them this morning to freeze and then have out for nibbles on Thanksgiving Day. Some of these might not make it into the freezer, though.

Spinach Squares

1/2 c. butter
3 eggs
1 c. flour
1 c. milk
1 t. salt
1 t. baking powder
1 lb. grated cheddar (about 4 cups)
4 c. chopped spinach (4 of the frozen boxes, thawed and squeezed dry)

Preheat oven to 350F. Melt butter in a 9x13 pan. Beat together the eggs, milk, salt, baking powder and flour. Add the cheese and spinach and mix well. Pour into the pan and bake for 35 minutes. Let cool 30 minutes before serving. Cut into squares 1.5-2 inches on a side. If frozen, can be reheated in a 325F oven for 12-15 minutes. Or you can just microwave 'em for a few seconds.

I have been known to just eat a plate of these for breakfast.

Just for the record, I HATE squeezing spinach dry. It is my least favorite cooking task. I have been known to reject recipes based on the fact that I'd have to do it. However, I tasted these and became addicted before I saw the recipe, so for these I'm willing to do it. That's how good they are.

1 comment:

happygeek said...

A pound of cheese and a half cup of butter and spinach. Awesome.
Gotta try these.