apple bag pie

Another one from my MIL. She is, you have surmised by the point, an intimidatingly skilled baker. One of the high points of my life was the day I made a pie and Peter said my crust had reached the level of his mother's. A ray of light broke through the clouds to shine upon my head, and Handel's "Hallelujah Chorus" could be heard.

Where was I? Oh, yes. This is in the oven as I type, making me gleeful and glad.

Apple Bag Pie

8 c. peeled, sliced apples (my MIL insists on Cortland apples if they are at all available; I have found that Granny Smiths work fine if Cortlands are unavailable)
1/2 c. sugar
2 T. flour
1/2 t. cinnamon
1/2 t. nutmeg
9 inch unbaked pie shell
2 T. lemon juice

Crumble Topping

1/2 c. flour
1/2 c. sugar
1/2 c. butter

Preheat oven to 425F.

Combine apples, 1/2 c. sugar, 2 T. flour and spices; toss well to mix. Turn into pie shell (they will pile up pretty high; it helps if you have built up a pretty high fluting around the edge of your pie crust) and sprinkle with the 2 T. lemon juice.

Combine the topping ingredients, mixing until crumbly (I find a pastry cutter helps with this). Sprinkle over apples. Place pie into a large paper grocery bag. Fold end over twice and fasten with paper clips. Place on cookie sheet. Slide carefully into the oven, making sure that the bag isn't touching your oven coils; you may have to lower the rack. Bake for 1 hour.

When you remove the pie from the oven, cut open the bag to remove the pie, but do so CAREFULLY; there may be steam and also hot caramelized sugar oozing out all over the place.

This is fantastic with ice cream. Or for breakfast. Or with ice cream, for breakfast.

4 comments:

Hairline Fracture said...

It sounds like it would be delicious anytime.

Beck said...

Now I want pie.
Except I mostly only do gluten free baking now, and while I am technically skilled at it, I do not want to eat most gluten-free baked goods. Even apple pie.
Heavy sigh.

Kathleen Marie said...

This I have to try --- Thanks and Merry Christmas!

Katina said...

Yum. Baking is not my strong point, but I would definitely love some homemade apple pie. Thanks for stopping by my blog and leaving a comment!