a nice comforting sort of cookie

I made these today when Colin asked for vanilla cookies. They are easy, sweet, comforting and homey. If you like evaporated milk, you will like these cookies. If you don't, you won't. I like evaporated milk, and I'm quite fond of the cookies.

Caramel Jumbles (from The Art of Making Good Cookies, Plain and Fancy)

I don't know why they are called "Caramel Jumbles" when there is no caramel in them. Nevertheless, they are tasty.

1/2 c. butter
1 c. brown sugar
1/2 c. white sugar
2 eggs
1 c. evaporated milk
1 tsp. vanilla (I recommend doubling this amount)
2 3/4 c. flour
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. salt
1 c. raisins or chopped dates (optional)

Cream butter and sugars. Beat in eggs. Add evaporated milk and vanilla. Sift together dry ingredients and stir in (well, that's what the book says but I didn't bother with sifting together; I just tossed them into the running Kitchen Aid as I measured them out), then add fruit. Drop on lightly greased baking sheet (or lined with parchment). Bake at 400 degrees for bout 10 minutes. When cool, spread with Caramel Jumble Glaze (or not; they're quite eatable plain, but the glaze is yummy, too).

Caramel Jumble Glaze

2 T. melted butter
1/4 c. brown sugar
2 c. sifted powdered sugar
1/2 c. evaporated milk

Stir brown sugar into melted butter until dissolved. Add sugar and milk (unless you want a very thin glaze, I would add the milk a bit at a time until I achieved the consistency I wanted); beat until fluffy. Spread over cooled cookies.

These freeze very well.

1 comment:

Hairline Fracture said...

Mmm, they sound good.