my stash, my self

Today I noted, with some amusement, how my current bathroom stash of reading material actual gives a fairly accurate representation of my interests. And because YOU must be just fascinated by MY interests, here is an inventory of my bathroom stack.

This is what my blog has come to.

The Fannie Farmer Cookbook, 14th edition. An excellent Big Fat Cookbook.

Jean Baudrillard's Simulacra and Simulation, which I've had for years but have never gotten all the way through. Maybe this time.

The May 2009 issue of Lucky magazine. There, I admitted it. I read a girly mag.

William Faulkner's The Sound and the Fury, Norton Critical Edition. Quentin Compson just breaks my heart.

A sudoku book from the Target $1 bin.

Laura Ingalls Wilder's The First Four Years, a depressing, depressing book.

After Many Days, a collection of short stories by Lucy Maud Montgomery.

Magic for Marigold, also by LMM. Every time I read this one, I get through most of it and think to myself, what a nice little book-- I wonder why I remember disliking it? Then I get to the last pages and it makes me want to scream and hurl it against the wall.

Martin Buber's I and Thou, which is nice except for the snobby forward by Walter Kaufmann.

A Portrait of Yo Mama as a Young Man, an amusing gift from my friend Julia.

The August 2006, March 2007, April 2007 and April 2009 issues of Bon Appetit magazine.

The Well-Trained Mind, by Jessie Wise and Susan Wise Bauer. This book is my homeschooling inspiration. I can't wait to get my hands on the 10th anniversary edition.

Ines of My Soul, by Isabel Allende.

Spiritual Disciplines Handbook: Practices That Transform Us by Adele Ahlberg Calhoun. A good, practical introduction to most of the historical spiritual disciplines.

Memoir From Antproof Case, by Mark Helprin. This was the first Helprin I ever read, and probably still my favorite. How can his stories be so hilarious and heartbreaking at the same time? And his prose-- it's stunningly beautiful and yet totally transparent. Just amazing.

Slow and Steady, Get Me Ready, by June Oberlander. I had big plans for this book when I got it. Our days were going to be filled with creative, amusing, developmental activities! Sigh.

Seven small notebooks, inherited from Peter's Great Aunt Helen, filled with recipes she collected over the course of her life.

So there.

7 comments:

Julia said...

Oh my goodness, yes, The First Four Years is so, so depressing.

And now I must go find my copy of Magic for Marigold and remember how it ends.

Veronica Mitchell said...

I envy the size of your bathroom.

Peter said...

And the bookcases have many longstanding gaps. Ahem. :)

happygeek said...

I thought I had read everything by LMM but I have not read Magic for Marigold. But now I will. Can't wait for the ending:).
If I had that many book in my washroom my husband's head would explode. I'm allowed 2-3 at a time. And that shows GREAT tolerance on his part.
You've got yourself a good man.

Recovering Sociopath said...

We've got separate bathrooms, so that helps. He has his own precarious stack in his.

Hairline Fracture said...

My first thought was, "That's a lot of books." (I usually just carry whatever I'm reading in there with me since the kids would destroy any books I left in there.) But I can see the advantage of having any genre you are in the mood for right there at your fingertips!

Mary-LUE said...

My current bathroom "reading" is actually an electronic Yahtzee game.