a music quiz meme thing

Here are the first lines of the first 15 songs to come up on my iTunes playlist. Your job is to guess the song title and/or artist WITHOUT consulting Google.

  1. I was resting comfortably face down in the gutter. Life was serene. I knew where I was at.
  2. Yes indeed, I'm alone again, and here comes emptiness crashing in. It's either love or hate, I can't find in between.
  3. Well, my heart's in the highlands, gentle and fair, honeysuckle blooming in the wild wood air.
  4. Living on the road, my friend, was going to keep you free and clean. Now you wear your skin like iron, and your breath is hard as kerosene.
  5. When the rain is blowing in you face and the whole world is on your case, I could offer you a warm embrace to [song title].
  6. These are the [song title] declaring the word of the Lord, and these are the days of your servant Moses; righteousness being restored.
  7. Have you ever lost your way? Have you ever feared another day? Have you ever misplaced your mind, watching this world leave you behind?
  8. I am he as you are he as you are me and we are all together. See how they run like pigs from a gun, see how they fly. I'm crying.
  9. You took a part of me that I really miss. I keep asking myself how long I can go on like this.
  10. I stand there watching her, hand holds a cigarette. She tells me her name, but once again I will forget.
  11. Well my nerves are exploding and my body's tense.
  12. I'm walking through streets that are dead-- walking, walking with you in my head.
  13. Chasing after the rainbow's end left me clutching my fistful of wind. That last adventure must have been just a waste of my time.
  14. At night they would go walking ‘til the breaking of the day; the morning is for sleeping. Through the dark streets they go searching to seek God in their own way; save the nighttime for your weeping…
  15. I look at you all see the love there that's sleeping [song title]. I look at the floor and I see it needs sweeping [song title].
I skipped spoken word and instrumental tracks, obviously, but I faithfully recorded the songs otherwise. Some of them I am a bit embarrassed about. Ah, well. This list only partially reflects my currents tastes, as my iTunes is a limited repository-- most of my music lives only on the family iPod. I was supposed to use the iPod for this meme, but I didn't feel like fetching it from the car. For what it's worth, it wouldn't have reflected my tastes accurately, either, as my husband's music collection is on it, too, and there's a fairly limited overlap.

Anyway, there it is. Leave your guesses in the comments and I'll strikethrough as they are correctly identified.

14 comments:

PeeJay said...

Is #4 Pancho and Lefty?

And #6 is Days of Elijah

Recovering Sociopath said...

Yep, yep!

Veronica Mitchell said...

I am a musical ignoramus, so the only one I recognize is #5: "To Make You Feel My Love." And even though it's a Dylan song, I only know it because Garth Brooks covered it.

Recovering Sociopath said...

Well, at least you knew it was a Bob Dylan song. Having it attributed solely to Garth Brooks would be almost as irritating as hearing "I Will Always Love You" attributed solely to Whitney Houston.

M. Robert Turnage said...

Seriously? No one has answered #8 yet? I am the Walrus - The Beatles

Poxy lyrics.

M. Robert Turnage said...

No Beatles fans read this blog? Really? I held back on #15 after snagging the obvious #8.

Here is a essay about the song with a very funny concluding sentence:

http://thebeatlescompleteonukulele.blogspot.com/2009/01/001-while-my-guitar-gently-weeps.html

Recovering Sociopath said...

Actually, I'm pretty sure my friend Jen is a solid Beatles fan, but evidently she hasn't read this post yet...

Julia said...

#12 is more Dylan, right? Some of the other ones are SO FAMILIAR, but I would have to cheat and google to actually find out.

Recovering Sociopath said...

Yes! #12 is "Love Sick" from my favorite Dylan album, Time Out of Mind.

Kimberly said...

Sigh. All of my Dylan albums are bootlegged. From concerts. From OTHER bootlegged concerts. So, cassettes of poor quality. Needless to say, it has been 15 years since I have listened to them. Need to download some....

Speaking of, I am with Julia on this...I am tempted to Google 'cause some of these are so damn familiar. And I want to know what No. 3 is....

happygeek said...

This is a fun meme. Being hearing impaired, the lyrics I hear are often not the ones the writer intended. At all. Much more fun that way. So I wouldn't recognize any of these songs even if I listened to them this morning.
Except Days of Elijah and that is because they put the lyircs up on the screen at church.
I used to think it was "these are the days of Elijah bearing the weight of the sword." It doesn't really make sense, but neither does "Celebrate Jesus", even with correct lyrics.

Julia said...

I was listening to music and one of these came up on shuffle! #2 is Ben Harper. And then made me realize that another one of these is from that same album-- #7.

Jen said...

thanks for the shout out. no time for blogs these days. Just check in sporadically to see if we're discussing Rilla.

Beck said...

14 is a Coldplay song but I don't remember which one. Dude! You listen to a lot of Dylan!

This is a fun idea. I should give it a whirl..