the weekly chow plan

Unless specified, the meal named is for supper; lunch is typically leftovers, breakfast is usually oatmeal, eggs or smoothies.

Sunday

Birchermuesli (for breakfast); potluck dinner at homegroup.

Monday

Baked Oatmeal for breakfast; I am using a recipe provided by my friend Jen:

"I like to prep this after dinner so in the morning I just have to throw it in the oven. It reheats well in the microwave, especially with a splash of milk.

From Cooking Light-- I always double it and cook it in the 9x13 pan with leftovers for the next day or 2.

2 cups oats
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/3 cup raisins (I usually use Craisins)
1 Tbsp. walnuts
1 tsp. baking powder
1 1/2 cups fat-free milk (I usually use a combination of cream and whole milk)
1/2 cup applesauce
2 tbsp. butter melted
1 egg, beaten
cooking spray

Preheat oven to 375F. Combine first 5 ingredients in a medium bowl, then combine next 4 ingredients. Add wet ingredients to dry ingredients, stir well. Pour into 8 inch square baking dish coated with cooking spray. Bake for 20 min.

Enjoy!"

I cannot wait to try that one.

For supper that day, we are having Panang Tofu Curry, courtesy of the current issue of Bon Appetit

Tuesday

Pioneer Woman's Cauliflower Soup

Wednesday

C.O.R.N. or Freezer Fishing

Thursday

5 Spice Beet Soup
(another one from the current Bon Appetit) & homemade whole wheat bread

Friday
Crispy Black Bean Tacos with Feta and Cabbage Slaw
(so I like the BA)

UPDATE: Those tacos are really good! I was doubtful when putting together the separate ingredients-- the black beans tasted far too cuminy (and I like cumin), and the slaw tasted a little off somehow, too. But when I put them all together with the feta cheese in the crispy corn tortillas the flavors came together wonderfully. We will definitely be having these again.

Saturday
Vegetable Quiche

2 comments:

Beck said...

Is the oatmeal good? My kids - the ones who are oatmeal tolerant (AAAH! ALLERGIES!) - LOVE oatmeal, and I'm fairly desperate to find a new recipe. Email me and lemme know!

Julia said...

I made the baked oatmeal this morning with dried blueberries and pecans and it was GREAT. (Actually prepared it last night and baked it this morning.) It has a lovely texture and seems like such an easy way to get oatmeal made. I am going to use it when we have house guests.