I need to detox

...so I'm starting my Advent fast a little early.

I've developed a standard fast over the years: no sweets, meat, butter, or recreational internet. I usually take on a positive discipline, also, like singing along with all the songs I don't like in church. I think NaBloPoMo will serve for that, at least until the end of November.

I've been eating poorly and not using my time well (darn you, Facebook! curse you, Google Reader! and don't even get me started on Twitter) and not praying as much as I should. The result is more than a little chaos-- mentally, physically and spiritually (although I hate even to distinguish them that way, I'm so paranoid about the creeping insidious neo-Gnosticism in evangelical popular culture; I am a psychosomatic unity!).

So it's time for me to strip down and cut back and all that. If you comment on my blog and I don't return the comment until the next Sunday, I'm not intending rudeness or neglect. I just need some focus.

3 comments:

Hairline Fracture said...

Good for you--those kinds of fasts are so good for your spirit. (I don't think I'm ready to give up the Internet, though. Now that I've said that, God will start sending me signs that I need to do it. Crud!)

M. Robert Turnage said...

My brother and I would always sing church hymns in cockney accents if we thought there was something amiss. (Seriously, Marylin Manson doesn't even have the nerve to sing, "Are you washed in the blood of the lamb?")

The one song that my brother and I could never get through was "America the Beautiful." The first line of the second verse is, "O beautiful for pilgrim feet."

The idea of beautiful feet in pilgrim shoes with big buckles on them is too silly a subject for a song. We would laugh and laugh and laugh every time we tried to sing it.

Recovering Sociopath said...

Robb, now I am laughing and laughing and laughing. Now I'll never be able to get through that song, either.