because of social networking, the past is never dead

In first grade, I had a really aggressive crush on this kid in my class, Timmy C. I mean really aggressive, as in every day at recess we could be seen making a circuit of the playground as he ran from me and I pursued him tirelessly.

The other day I thought of him for the first time in years, and of course the first thing I did was search for him on Facebook. But Facebook doesn't let you see people's details, so on to MySpace. I found a Timothy C. of the right age and in the right town and, dying of curiosity, I sent him a message:

"Random question: are you the Timothy C. who went to Calvary Baptist Academy in first grade? If you are, I think used to chase you around the playground. Er, sorry about that."

And the next day he replied! He said:

"It seems the chase is over; I can finally get a good nights sleep. =)"

I was highly amused, but also a little disturbed because there are plenty of people from elementary school who could find me as easily as I found Timmy C., and I don't necessarily want to hear from them, you know?

3 comments:

happygeek said...

This is why I shun Facebook and the like.
Junior High was tough enough, why revisit Heck?

M. Robert Turnage said...

Whenever someone from the past contacts me, I try to convince them they owe me lunch money from the time I loaned it to them. Plus, they now owe me interest.

My Facebook friendship does not come cheap.

meg @ spicy magnolia said...

Just wanted to stop by and say thanks! Thank you for leaving your comment on Antique Mommy's blog about the advice for new moms! I've savored each comment and am printing them out to keep and refer to regularly. :) Thanks again for taking the time to encourage me and leave a comment! I really needed the reminder to not be too hard on myself, being the perfectionist that I am, so your comment hit the heart!