attention, blogosphere, et al.

I'm going to vote for John McCain on November 4.

But you know what? If you are voting for Barack Obama? I do NOT assume that you are stupid, or ill-informed, or outright evil, or blindly following a religious leader. My default assumption, believe it or not, is that we've both given at least some thought to the same issues and have simply come to different conclusions about the best choice in the upcoming election. I fully realize that rational, thoughtful, good people can disagree with me without that disagreement being an indicator of intellectual or moral inferiority.

Now. Can you please extend to me the same respect? Thank you.

8 comments:

Veronica said...

Hear, hear.

M. Robert Turnage said...

The Mrs. recently read a really good article by Peggy Noonan about how both sides are worried that the problems of the world are getting bigger than their particular candidate, and as a result this insecurity and fear is making the general discourse get ugly.

It is nice to see some rational discourse on this blog. Hang in there.

Hairline Fracture said...

I feel the same way--those of us who have made our choice just have different fundamental beliefs about which candidate will produce the results we are looking for. I don't discuss politics much, on my blog or with friends, because I hate conflict and most people don't seem to be able to disagree politely.

Kimberly said...

I would, of course, love to assume that everyone has actually thought about their choice. But when the most frequent response from supporters of the Democratic candidate, when asked why they are voting for their choice, is: "Because he represents hope and he is going to 'change' things", I have to wonder how much thought has gone into it.

happygeek said...

What?
Not everyone in American politics respects other people's opinions and realizes that just because someone think differently than you they are not necessarily wrong?
I'm shocked. Good thing it's so totally different in Canada. (Cough cough)
Like when this closet liberal outs herself in her conservative church. Good times.
Happy last month of elections!
We get it over with tomorrow! Mind you, we will probably get yet another minority government and get to do this again in 2 years or so!!! There's something to be said for regularly scheduled elections.

Betty Beguiles said...

I admire your charity. Mine likes to hide from me from time to time. ;) But on my better days, ditto.

zdoodlebub said...

Liberal delurking to ditto Veronica: Hear, hear. I get the very same treatment at my conservative church.

Michael said...

I voted for John and Sarah today. Yowza for early voting.