unfulfilled

"Here," I said to P. "Let me read you something, and you tell me if it's just me."

Throughout life, we are in quest of fulfillment. we are always seeking ways to meet the spiritual and emotional and physical yearnings within. The opening pages of Genesis give us the answer to why unfulfillment is a common human problem apart from God's help. We can learn about the fulfillment God created us to experience and the reasons why His desires were thwarted. In God's goodness and mercy, however, He has made a way of redemption.


"Baby Boomer much?" responded my nice husband.

"THANK YOU. It isn't just me."

The above quote is from the guide to the Bible study guide* we are using in the weekly Bible study I recently joined. We are a few weeks in now. I don't know if I can do this.

Look, it's not as if I didn't know what I would be getting into, at least to some extent. The church hosting the study is a member of our very conservative diocese, and, while I know of a few other Biblical egalitarians here and there, we are few and far between. So I was prepared for the complementarian point of view to reign in the literature-- although not as much for the assumption that every participant of the Bible study would share it. It's very silencing, actually. Well, it's silencing if you're the type to let yourself be silenced.

Which I'm not.

At any rate, what I wasn't prepared for is the whole idea that Jesus came to make us happy, that redemption equals fulfillment.

It's a little distressing to see that level of self-centeredness creeping into the study materials at a church that is taking great pains publicly to adhere to orthodoxy.

Of course, they're also doing the Truth Project in that same time slot every week.

Happily, the Bible study leader has so far managed to subvert the commentary into something much closer to Biblical, and the women in the study are great-- smart, questioning and unpretentious. So we'll see. What with my one-woman crusade against the Truth Project and all, I may not have the energy to complain about this too much. Which is probably just as well.

*You read that right: there's the Bible study guide, and then the guide to the guide. Seriously.

5 comments:

Veronica said...

I started attending a bible study a little over a month ago, and it's actually going quite well. The ladies are smart and kind, tho' they don't really get my humor. After one comment I made, I thought, "Sherri would think that was funny." They did not.

Veronica said...

I started attending a bible study a little over a month ago, and it's actually going quite well. The ladies are smart and kind, tho' they don't really get my humor. After one comment I made, I thought, "Sherri would think that was funny." They did not.

Julia said...

I'm doing a Bible study this fall and I am having such a hard time in it; it's the most depressing thing I do every week. For me, it's the shallow thinking and pat answers that really get me. I just about got squashed by the leader when I suggested it was hard to understand my role in prayer in light of God's power/knowledge/etc. Sigh... I am sticking it out until the Christmas break but I don't know after that.

Hairline Fracture said...

I wish I could attend a Bible study with you (and Veronica!)

Thanks for the link to the Halloween commentary. It made me laugh so hard. "If your trick or treat experience involves a liturgy to Satan YOU ARE DOING IT WRONG!!! YOU ARE JUST SUPPOSED TO BE ASKING FOR CANDY!" Also, the writer became a pastor (Methodist, but it still counts.) HA!

Thank goodness my parents were sensible enough to let us be kids.

Anonymous said...

Cardinal Glick: "Christ didn't come to earth to give us the willies! He came to help us out. He was a booster! ...I give you: the Buddy Christ."