crunchy con mommas, unite!

I didn't actually determine for sure that any of these moms would self-identify as a Crunchy Con. Shoot, I forgot even to ask any of them for their names. For all I know, they might go home and read Leo Strauss while they co-sleep with their babies.

At any rate, I was impressed with the number of babywearing moms I saw at the McCain-Palin rally yesterday. I had assumed that conservatives of any stripe were nearly non-existent in the babywearing-breastfeeding-cosleeping-attachment world. But there are at least a few in Fairfax, and I snapped pictures of some of them-- maybe a third of the ones I spotted. Check out these awesome moms and their babies:



Note the red sling. A friend of mine, who lives in Fairfax near the park where the rally took place, said, "There was so much red in Fairfax today, I thought it was Pentecost!"







As for the rally itself, I don't have much to add to what you've probably already heard. There were a LOT of people. I did not have a wide enough angle to capture them all in one shot. Can you find the Ergo mommy in the picture below?



When the Secret Service SUVs pulled up, people got a little bit excited. Signs went up. The crowd made a noise which really can only be described as a roar.



This moment cracked me up:



The speeches themselves were essentially condensed versions of the ones delivered at the national convention-- nothing earth-shatteringly new. But it was amusing to go and be counted. I'm not sure if I'll go to another political rally-- I'm not sure what the point is, other than to plump up the numbers for a candidate.

Oh! I almost forgot! It wouldn't be a Republican campaign rally without a protesting hippie. I hope it made him feel good that I took his picture. He evidently put a lot of work into those signs.



Actually, I appreciate his appeal for a civil discussion. Those are few and far between these days.

5 comments:

Kimberly said...

By the way, the count was something like 23,000, allegedly the largest rally for McCain yet.

Julia said...

Oh, I just love the hippie and his signs... And probably feel a bit of affinity with him, despite my choice in the primary being Ron Paul.

gid said...

Did you know that Palin is a babywearing mom? Here is a link:
http://www.babywearing.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=107

gid said...

Oops, Let me try that link again:
http://www.babywearing.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=107

Betty Beguiles said...

You can count me among the babywearing (etc.) conservative mamas. You can blame my liberal parents. It all stuck but the politics. ;)

I'm really enjoying your blog, btw.