another meme from TD

Hello, good readers. I am surfacing from my freelance frenzy to give you More Information About Me. Me. Me.

Veronica Mitchell at Toddled Dredge tagged me for a meme, and I really can't refuse her. She's my bloggy mommy hero.

Favorite person (outside family)? This is difficult to answer. Today, it's Nneka Ifeoma Ofulue. She is a dear friend, a fabulous woman, and an intellectual powerhouse. I have never heard her express an opinion with which I disagree, and I don't know if I can even say that about my husband. Oh, wait, she doesn't like eggs or cooked peanuts, and I do. So there.

Favorite food? Does this mean favorite cuisine, or favorite single dish, or favorite ingredient? Thai, filet mignon, butter.

Quirks about you? There are so many. I am in day-to-day life a relatively cheerful person, but I think about death all the time. But thoughts of death lead to thoughts of resurrection, so maybe that's why I am still cheerful.

How would the person who loves you most describe you in ten words or less? "You defy reduction to ten words."--- my husband

Any regrets in life? Not working my way through college and grad school. I felt all this pressure to finish, but in retrospect I'd rather have taken longer and graduated debt free.

Favorite Charity/ Cause? I'm with Veronica on this one-- Heifer International does great work.

Favorite Blog recently? The FAIL Blog.

Something you can’t get enough of? Books.

Worst job you’ve ever had? Working the 4pm to midnight shift for an answering service. It was okay during the quiet periods, but when all the doctors' and attorneys' offices switched over to us at 6pm, it was a freaking NIGHTMARE. They didn't want to talk to us, they wanted to talk to the DOCTOR. Put him on the phone NOW. It didn't help to explain that we were housed in a building across town from the doctor. I had to listen to more abuse over the phone in that job. Also? Bouncing paychecks. Not. Good.

What job would you pay NOT to have? Child care worker. What a terrifying responsibility.

If you could be a fly on the wall, where? I'm not going to answer that question because the person I would eavesdrop on reads this blog. :)

Favorite Bible verse right now? Hebrews 10.31: It is a dreadful thing to fall into the hands of the living God (NIV).

Just kidding! But I do think that would be a fun one to pair with some Thomas Kinkade wall dreck.

My favorite verse right now, thanks to N.T. Wright, is I Corinthians 15, especially verse 58: Therefore, my dear brothers, stand firm. Let nothing move you. Always give yourselves fully to the work of the Lord, because you know that your labor in the Lord is not in vain (NIV). As Bishop Tom says, "You are not oiling the wheels of a machine that's about to roll over a cliff."

Guilty Pleasure? Fark.com is such a time sink, but I can't go more than a few days without checking it.

And then I regret it, because inevitably there is a comment thread-- always including horrible words like "crotchfruit" and "poopdoll"-- on how Children Are Annoying and Yucky and a Public Nuisance, and then I work myself into a frothing rage over their insensitivity, total lack of compassion, and unbelievably grandiose senses of entitlement. My working theory is that people who don't like to be reminded children exist are people who don't like to contemplate the thought of ever having to be, even for the length of a restaurant dinner or plane flight, anything less than totally and completely self-absorbed and selfish.

Huh. I think the real guilty pleasure here might be the self-righteous anger on my part.

Got any confessions? No.

If you HAD to spend $1,000 on YOURSELF, how would you spend it? Books. And a BOB Double Jogging Stroller.

Favorite thing about your house? My red bathroom.

Least favorite thing about your house? It is seriously deficient in storage space.

One thing you are bad at? Housekeeping.

One thing you’re good at? Self-flagellation.

If you could change something about your circumstances, what? Amtrak would be a fifth of the current price and have five times the current infrastructure. I think this would change a lot of people's circumstances for the better.

Who would you like to meet someday? Bishop Tom, of course. I could have met him at the AAR-SBL conference when it was in DC a couple of years ago, but I was too shy. I admire him so much I was afraid my conversation would devolve into star-struck witless gabble. So I just smiled at him from across the room. I think he even smiled back, possibly because I had an adorable infant strapped to my back in a Tibetan shoulder carry. Or possibly because he's just a nice man.

What makes you feel sexy? Liquor.

Who is your real life hero? You mean, besides Jesus? Uh. I have a quite few, actually, what with my tendency for putting people on pedestals and all. Today, I'll say...Pam M., the Children's Ministry Coordinator at my church. That woman is tirelessly self-serving and sacrificing. When someone flakes out on nursery duty, she's the one who leaves her dinner on the table or whatever to come up to church and watch the kids. She is always, always giving something more of her time and energy and love to the children of our parish. Yay, Pam!

What is the hardest part of your job? Not being selfish.

When are you most relaxed? Nap time.

What stresses you out? Anticipating disapproval.

What can you not live without? Grace.

Do you agree or disagree with the recent article that reported that blogs are authored by narcissists? No.

Why do you blog? Many reasons. Mostly I'm lazy, and it is in theory easier to write blog posts for everyone to read rather than communicate individually with all my various contacts. Also, I have all these ideas for Actual Publishable Pieces, but I'm too terrified of failure to write them up and submit them for publication. If I just whine about them on my blog, it's okay-- it's just a blog.

Whom are you tagging? No one. Feel free to lift for your own blog, if you like.

2 comments:

Veronica @ Toddled Dredge said...

Love it.

Did you see NT Wright interviewed by Stephen Colbert? If you missed it, you can catch it on hulu.com.

happygeek said...

The Thomas Kincade crack?
Killed me.
Now I am off to figure out who NT Wright is.