fair thee well, Fry

The travel section of the New York Times has an article on Denton and its music scene today.

I settled in for a nostalgic read-- much of my time in Denton (I took my philosophy BA from the University of North Texas) was spent trying to destroy myself, but bracketing that, I had a good old time upon occasion, hanging on the fringes of the music scene, going to Lift to Experience shows, etc.

Still, unlike Austin, downtown Denton has no liquor stores or a Starbucks, and it sometimes feels more like a suburb of Dallas than a subcultural oasis. It didn’t help things when a developer last year bulldozed much of historic Fry Street, the former epicenter of Denton’s live music scene, to make way for a CVS (a plan since stalled by a permit issue). All that remains today of the Haight-Ashburyesque strip is a mosquito-infested mud pit and a graveyard of frat bars and head shops.

What? WHAT???

2 comments:

M. Robert Turnage said...

This happened about a year ago. Quite a hullaboo about it at the time - I think there was a benefit concert or some big party/festival and then no follow-up.

The Flying Tomato closed down, too.

Anonymous said...

You know, it always needed to be purged with fire and all, but... still, this is really weird. I guess it's the end of an era: the era of homeless drunks sleeping atop the GAB in the winter so that the steam vents will keep them warm.