I'm copying...

...a cool movie meme. I list quotes from some of my favorite films, you name the movie.

1. "You people are just bastard people. I'm going to go home and bite my pillow!"

2. "Ein Engel geht vorbei!"

3. "Is that your machine? Well, it's an offense to the ear."

4. "A man who doesn't spend time with his family can never be a real man."

5. "Any time of the day is a good time for pie."

6. "Think her family's gonna be okay that you're a white guy?"
"They think any woman over 30 who isn't married is a lesbian. She figures, they'll be so relieved that I'm a man..."
"Yeah, it's always heartwarming to see a prejudice defeated by a deeper prejudice."

7. "I wept today because right had been done."
"Not justice?"
"No, not justice. Right. Easy to do justice. Very hard to do right."

8. "Hey girl. Take a look at the sunset that I ordered for you."

9. "I finally understand what all this is, how it was all possible. Now I see, good lord, how we must look from out there. Our addiction is evil. The propensity for this evil lies in our weakness before it. Kierkegaard was right - there is an awful precipice before us. But he was wrong about the leap - there's a difference between jumping and being pushed. You reach a point where you are forced to face your own needs, and the fact that you can't terminate the situation settles on you with full force."

10. "'Captain' is Clementine's name for me. It is not for you."

11 comments:

Kimberly said...

sadness.

much sadness.

don't know how you are my friend.

I know none of these. Well, I probably do, but I don't retain pithy quotes, much less remember where I heard them.

Veronica Mitchell said...

I can't name a single one, though I know I've heard the pie line somewhere. And if there's a movie line in German, I just guess Wings of Desire.

M. Robert Turnage said...

TRICK QUESTION! They are all from one movie - that made-for-Lifetime feature, "The Sherri Edman Story."

Seriously, I only know a few of these. Question marks by the guesses.

1. The M. Robert Turnage Story (?)

2. Dead Men Don't Wear Plaid (?)

3. Double Indemnity (?)

4. Cheaper by the Dozen (??? I know I'm way off on this one.)

5. Twin Peaks (?)

6. My Big Fat Greek Wedding (!)

7. The Winslow Boy (!)

8. The Whole Wide World (?)

9. Star Trek something mumblebum (?)

10. Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind (?)

Sherri E. said...

As it happens, Veronica, you guessed correctly. :)

Robb, I knew you would get The Winslow Boy. You are the person in my mind most strongly associated with David Mamet movies. You got #8 right, too. The rest...remain to be guessed.

M. Robert Turnage said...

Power of Google compels me! Which I recognize is totally cheating.

The right answers come up when you google the quotes:

#1 #4 #5 #10

#3 #6 and #9 bring up your blog.

#6 Comes up with the right movie on Yahoo search. #3 and #9 are still a mystery.

Here are the ones I really should have guessed correctly now that I know the answers - #1 #4 #5 #6 and #10.

Sherri E. said...

And aren't you EMBARRASSED that you didn't get #4? I sure would be.

M. Robert Turnage said...

I am mightily embarassed. Speaking of embarrassing, Christie has not seen #4. I keep threatening a forced screening almost every weekend, but she keeps filling our schedule with other things.

Sherri E. said...

Tsk tsk. And I think she might actually enjoy it. Has she read Sarah Vowell's essay?

M. Robert Turnage said...

Yes. We are all about the Vowell in this household. We are about literature and essays and ideas and good discussion.

I married someone who likes a lot of things, but movies in general - not so much.

Sherri E. said...

I think, considering Christie's overall Superiority As A Human Being, a lack of interest in film is relatively easy to overlook. :)

Sherri E. said...

...and BY THE WAY, Robb...I'll give you a clue on #9: the title of the film is in the quote.