the original 40 days of purpose

OH, yeah.

My favorite season of the year approaches. Here is a filk what has been circulating on Teh Internest for some time. I don't know the origins, but I found it here.

Sackcloth and ashes, and days without eating;
Mortification and wailing and weeping;
A hair shirt that scratches, a nettle that stings;
These are a few of my favorite things.

Penitence, flagellants, memento mori;
Spending nights sleeping on rocks in a quarry;
The sound of a cloak'd solemn cantor who sings;
These are still more of my favorite things.

Tossing and turning and yearning I'm spurning,
Passions aflame like an ember day burning,
Corpus and carnis and wild drunken flings,
Forsaken are they for my favorite things!

When it's Christmas,
When the tree's lit,
When the cards are sent;
I simply remember my favorite things,
And then I can't wa-a-a-a-it till Lent!


Seriously, y'all. I LOVE Lent. I love Lent because I love Easter (I also love Heidegger, but boy did I have a moment of joy and victory the day I said out loud, "I am not a being-unto-death! I'm a being-unto-the-resurrection!"), and Lent is the ramp up to that. I love Lent because it's a time I can cast off a lot of excess and really focus on hearing from God, on contemplating Christ's sacrifices every time I remember my own.

I've got a long (for me) list of Lenten sacrifices this year:

  • Sweets (in one sense difficult, because I have quite the sweet tooth, but in another sense kind of a relief)
  • Meat (not that hard, since I'm picky enough about meat that the only kind I'm willing to eat tends to be cost-prohibitive)
  • Butter (which seems like a little thing, but I sure miss it when it's gone)
  • Recreational internet (which includes blogging, reading blogs, commenting on blogs, Facebook, MySpace, and the hideously addictive Desktop Tower Defense-- essentially, I'll be doing a couple of quick email checks each day to make sure nothing urgent needs to be addressed, and that's it)
What are you giving up? Share in the comments, if you care to.

4 comments:

Kimberly said...

So, in the spirit of sharing, I am giving the following up for lent (is that a split infinitive?):
1) television;
2) sweets; and
3) blogs.

I did not take my list from you....I thought it up and told the husband a week ago.
:-)
Keep up the good work!

Recovering Sociopath said...

Nope. Nary an infinitive in sight!

I wonder how many people in the blogosphere will be giving them up for Lent?

Mofast said...

Thanks for stopping by my blog.

That's great that you love Lent. I enjoy it myself as well. I really gained an appreciation for the Christian year at seminary and I find it very meaningful. And, you are absolutely right that it is connected to an appreciation of the resurrection.

I must admit though, that I am intimidated by anyone who even feigns understanding or appreciation of Heidegger, let alone such an intimate knowledge of infinitives. So, I'll write what I'm doing for Lent.

- give up tv
- recreational internet use, but I am going to blog about my Lenten journey. I want to limit what I do though.
- I'm going to eat a lot of sweets
- I want to take the extra time from tv and internet surfing and read some of the books I've been meaning to get to. One of them is a book I just got by NT Wright that is a collection of his sermons from Holy Week last year.

Enjoyed your post.

Jen said...

I guess since all the bloggers are giving up blogging for Lent, I'll be giving up blog reading during the week.

Snacking

I need to find a positive- something to do rather than not do. Don't know what though at this moment. Suggestions welcome.