the primal sympathy which having been must ever be

One of my Christmas presents from my sister was Listening Is an Act of Love: A Celebration of American Life from the StoryCorps Project, by Dave Isay.

I finished it in a day. When I was seventeen, finishing at least one of my Christmas books within 24 hours was the standard, but now that the demands of parenthood are upon me, I'm lucky if I get an hour of reading in each day. So for me to finish a book in a day is really saying something.

This book, and the StoryCorps project itself, are not only brilliant and interesting but good-- good in the sense of morally good. I have no idea what Isay's religious affiliation might be, if any, but it seems to me that this sort of witness-bearing, this ministry to people that lets them feel regarded, important, and valued-- that lets them understand themselves as real-- can only be part of Kingdom work.

I mean this. I think probably Jesus really approves of StoryCorps.

2 comments:

Kimberly said...

Isn't that the one from Starbucks?

Sherri said...

Could be. I haven't been to Starbucks in a while, but it's totally the sort of thing they'd retail. I think my sister got this on off Amazon.