it's Thursday!

...and, apparently, Prince William County has judged yesterday's puny dusting of snow sufficient to warrant a snow day, thus releasing the neighborhood urchins* to frolic outside and have snowball fights and RUIN MY VIEW.

Because it's all about me. Me, me, me.

And now, in an effort to be lighthearted about the organizational disaster that is my home, it's time for a round of Pick a Flat Surface and List the Books Piled On It. Today's selection is The Sideboard.

In addition to serving dishes, my laptop, fourteen bottles of liquor, a basket of Play-Doh and cookie cutters, and a pewter bas relief creche, we have:

Mrs. Fields Cookie Book: 100 Recipes from the Kitchen of Mrs. Fields, which I got in a box of cookbooks I scored off Freecycle. The Eggnog Cookies recipe is just delicious.

The Holy Bible, English Standard Version, which we got for free as a review copy. I LOVE being married to an editor; free books just show up at our house!

The Utimate A-to-Z Bar Guide, by Sharon and Ron Herbst, which contains, in addition to LOTS of drink recipes, many amusing quotations and historical anecdotes.

The 2007-2008 Manassas Community Phone Book, which we never use, because we have Teh Internest for that now. Does anyone actually use phone books to look up phone numbers now?

Protecting the Gift: keeping children and teenagers safe (and parents sane), by Gavin de Becker. I saw this at the used bookstore and just had to get it; I thought The Gift of Fear was brilliant.

The Man Who Mistook His Wife for a Hat and Other Clinical Tales by Oliver Sacks. This is one of my favorite nonfiction books; Dr. Sacks never, ever forgets that the subjects of medical case studies are human beings, and in many cases his refusal to relinquish their personhood is the key to his brilliant insights regarding their maladies.

Talking From 9 to 5: how women's and men's conversational styles affect who gets hear, who gets credit, and what gets done at work by Deborah Tannen. I haven't read this one yet, but it's on my list (although kind of far down). Tannen has a great understanding of the ways in which gender and communication intersect.

And that's that; a relatively short stack, but have no fear. Next week's episode will feature the promising Narrow Ledge to the Left of the Basement Stairs.



*Really, I do appreciate that they are outside playing instead of fattening themselves in front of televisions or video games. But I do wish they were a teensy bit less noisy, especially when my kids are napping.

3 comments:

Sherri said...

I just double checked, and there is no apostrophe anywhere in the Mrs. Fields title. How irritating. I understand the reasoning behind the absence, but still.

Michael said...

We used to use them (phone books) mostly to kill the occasional large insect, but we don't live in that sort of neighborhood anymore--and when a bug does get in, the cats just have far too much fun with it for me to go after it with a phonebook.

Ellen said...

Thanks for your comment and link to my post! It's always fun to find out that people are actually reading what I write ;)

It's so good to know that other people have piles cluttering up their flat surfaces. I've joked with my husband about elimating all the flat surfaces in our house to try and control the clutter. Unfortunately, that would mean a floorless house, which isn't really possible (you can stack magazines, books, old mail, coupons and school papers on dirt floors just as well as you can on a counter, shelf or wooden floor). Sigh.

I think we've used our phone book once or twice in the last year (our home internet connection is really slow). I will say that I appreciate the coupons at the back of our phone book. They were very handy when our water heater died.