waffle happiness

I improvised a waffle recipe this morning, hoping they would be edible, and they turned out good beyond all expectations. I was particularly pleased with the texture-- light and crispy yet moist and rich. NOM NOM NOM. Here is what I did. It is based loosely on the buttermilk waffle recipe from the Fannie Farmer Cookbook, 14th edition.

Waffles of Happiness

3/4 c. all purpose flour
3/4 c. whole wheat flour
2 tsp. baking powder
3/4 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. salt
2 Tbsp. sugar

3 eggs
1 1/2 c. plain yogurt
3/4 c. peanut oil
milk as needed to thin batter

1 c. blueberries

In a mixing bowl combine the flours, baking powder, baking soda, salt and sugar. In another bowl beat together the eggs, yogurt, and oil. Add the flour mixture to the egg mixture and stir until well combined. Stir in a bit of milk, if needed, to get the batter to pour, not plop, off the spoon. Stir in the blueberries.

Cook on a hot, well-greased wafffle iron 3 1/2 minutes or so, until golden brown. They will seem a little soggy coming out of the iron, but a few seconds in the air will turn them delightfully crisp. Eat immediately with maple syrup and butter. I have not tried to store them in my usual manner (freezing individually, then reheating in the toaster), so I cannot vouch for how well they keep.

I do think next time I will reduce the oil a touch; 3/4 c. seems an awful lot, and they get plenty of richness from the eggs and yogurt.

No comments: