intellectually lazy cultural scapegoating

I am so sick of literalist fundagelicals' failure at the deepest level to get the very basic concept of metaphor.

J.K. Rowling's work is so fraught with themes that are at the very least incredibly consistent with Christianity, and they are expressed with such force, clarity, and beauty that I hardly know how one can read the Potter books and not see them. Of course, I imagine the majority of rabid denouncers of Harry have not read the books-- like I said, it is intellectually lazy cultural scapegoating, motivated by fear rather than faith.

2 comments:

M. Robert Turnage said...

I remember my grandmother telling me not to watch 'Fantasy Island' because it was really about witchcraft. That is always what I think of when I hear this stuff - "Oh, [insert book/film/backwards song here] aspires to be as cool as 'Fantasy Island' was."

Kim Pospisil said...

I totally agree with you. I once heard this woman at my church talk about how dangerous Tolken's "Lord of the Rings" was to read. She didn't bother to learn that Tolken was a Christian.