a stranger affirms both my crunchy and my con

We, in a fit of insanity, decided to head out to Fair Oaks mall tonight to see if we could find anything good in the after-Christmas sales (we couldn't).

I had Marky on my shoulders in a Tibetan back carry, and as we walked through Macy's a woman approached me and said,

"I have been admiring how you are wearing your baby. That is how we do it in east Africa."

Which I though was very cool. We spoke for a bit about how handy it is and how you can cook, etc., so much more easily with your infant strapped to your back. I asked where she was from and she said she was Somalian. I stopped walking.

"Oh!" I said, "I hope you don't have any family in Mogadishu...?" She smiled.

"It is not so bad," she said, "They are alright. We want the Ethiopians to restore the transitional government." Peter and I were immensely satisfied, as we had been cheering the Ethiopians on earlier today. It was nice to have our opinions affirmed by an actual Somalian.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.