evangelically incorrect

Oh, yes.

Last night P. and I went to a seated dinner celebrating Fr. David's 20th anniversary as rector of Church of the Apostles. Two ladies were sitting next to my left, Martha and then Doortje on the other side of her. I've chatted with Doortje at various COA functions, but hadn't had much of a chance to get to talk to Martha before.

So they called us all to get into our seats for the evening to begin, and as I was sliding up to the table martha leaned over to me and said, "Doortje told me you two are not evangelically correct, so it's safe for me to sit here."

*warm fuzzy*

So we started chatting, and it seems that among other troublemaking, she and Doortje got tired of the little inspirational Bible verse plaques and magnets and things-- you know, the kind with flowers and Precious Moments figures or Thomas Kinkade houses and things. So they decided ot make their own, and came up with a little plaque with flowers all around and a little log cabin, all very sweet looking, and the verse on it is Hebrews 10.31. Heh.

2 comments:

Kim Pospisil said...

If you only knew the number of looks we get when we tell our stonch "evangelical" friends that we not republicans and didn't vote for Bush. Some have wondered how we can be Christians and not have vote for him. Frankly, I didn't like any of the candidates but you have to vote for someone. So, I voted on the issues. How dare I!

As you probably remember, I've never been much of a reader, but agree that the Left Behind series is "full of crap. Most Christian litterature is no better than Christian bands. For example, I never read a non-fiction book from christian writer who puts thier face on the cover. That just tells me immedidatly that they are marketing themselves instead of having something intellegent to say.

I'm tired of my friends having the wool pulled over their eyes by charismatic evangelists who preach that "God doesn't want you to suffer" and that if you are, you aren't doing something right. The prosperity gospel makes me angry.

I've got more to say on this but I'm going to e-mail you about it instead.

Anonymous said...

Great verse choice! Where can I get one?